- About Us
- Related Resources
Senior Faculty Research Assistant I, Entomology
Department of Horticulture
Oregon Wine Research Institute
4017 Ag and Life Sciences Bldg Oregon State UniversityCorvallis, OR 97331
Primary responsibilities include:
- Research on biological aspects of Drosophila suzukii;
- Examination of biological control agents that may impact Drosophila suzukii populations;
- Investigation of cultural controls against Drosophila suzukii;
- Coordination of scouting project for Pseudococcus maritimus, leafhoppers and associated viruses;
- General laboratory maintenance;
- Presentation at regional and national events to disseminate research findings to a broad audience;
- Production of peer-reviewed research reports.
Danny began his academic career as an undergraduate student at the University of Wyoming. Graduating through the Honors Program with a degree in Agroecology and an emphasis in Entomology, he took a position at Cedar Creek Ecological Science Reserve (CCESR, University of Minnesota), where he was a field technician for two summer seasons conducting plant biodiversity research with the BioCON and LTER projects. In Minnesota, he helped implement and monitor a long-standing savanna management experiment using prescribed fire.
Following his work at CCESR, Danny was admitted to Graduate School at OSU and completed his M.Sc. degree in the Department of Horticulture. The focus of his Master's research was to investigate disease resistance characteristics of black currants under the tutelage of Dr. Kim Hummer at the National Clonal Germplasm Repository in Corvallis.
Danny currently works in the Horticultural Entomology Lab in the Department of Horticulture at OSU. Since 2009 he has been a major contributor to research programs investigating the biology and control of the invasive vinegar fly, Drosophila suzukii (spotted wing drosophila). Danny was the chief field technician for a state-wide survey of Pseudococcus maritimus (grape mealybug), which is a known vector of grapevine leafroll-associated viruses in winegrapes. He has contributed auxiliary assistance to projects including mating disruption of Cydia latiferreana (filbertworm), biology of Halyomorpha halys (brown marmorated stinkbug), factors contributing to apple sunscald, and related projects that contribute to improvement of Pacific Northwestern horticultural crops.
- Miller, Betsey, Gianfranco Anfora, Matt Buffington, Kent M. Daane, Daniel T. Dalton, Kim M. Hoelmer, Marco Valerio Rossi Stacconi, Alberto Grassi, Claudio Ioriatti, Augusto Loni, Jeffrey C. Miller, M’bark Ouantar, Xingeng Wang, Nik G. Wiman, and Vaughn M. Walton. 2015. Seasonal occurrence of resident parasitoids associated with Drosophila suzukii in two small fruit production regions of Italy and the USA. Bulletin of Insectology 68(2): 255-263. [Role: field site establishment, parasitoid insect collections, laboratory data acquisition, manuscript revision.]
- Lee, Jana, Daniel T. Dalton, Katharine Swoboda-Bhattarai, Denny J. Bruck, Hannah J. Burrack, Bernadine Strik, J. Megan Woltz, and Vaughn M. Walton. 2015. Characterization and manipulation of fruit susceptibility to Drosophila suzukii. Journal of Pest Science, in press. DOI:10.1007/s10340-015-0692-9 (accepted 18 August 2015). [Role: field data collection, manuscript revision.]
- Tochen, Samantha, J. Megan Woltz, Daniel T. Dalton, Jana Lee, Nik G. Wiman, and Vaughn M. Walton. 2015. Humidity affects populations of Drosophila suzukii (Diptera: Drosophilidae) in blueberry. Journal of Applied Entomology 140: 47-57. [Role: data acquisition, manuscript revision, corresponding author.]
- Klick, Jimmy, Wei Q. Yang, Vaughn M. Walton, Daniel T. Dalton, James R. Hagler, Amy J. Dreves, Jana Lee, and Denny J. Bruck. 2015. Distribution and activity of Drosophila suzukii in cultivated raspberry and surrounding vegetation. Journal of Applied Entomology 140: 37-46. DOI:10.1111/jen.12234 [Role: manuscript revision, spatial analysis statistics.]
- Rossi Stacconi, Marco Valerio, Matt Buffington, Kent M. Daane, Daniel T. Dalton, Alberto Grassi, Gülay Kaçar, Betsey Miller, Jeffrey C. Miller, Nuray Baser, Claudio Ioriatti, Vaughn M. Walton, Nik G. Wiman, Xingeng Wang, and Gianfranco Anfora. 2015. Host stage preference, efficacy and fecundity of parasitoids attacking Drosophila suzukii in newly invaded areas. Biological Control 84: 28-35. [Role: parasitoid insect collections, insect colony maintenance, manuscript revision.]
- Ioriatti, Claudio, Vaughn M. Walton, Daniel T. Dalton, Gianfranco Anfora, Alberto Grassi, Simone Maistri, and Valerio Mazzoni. 2015. Drosophila suzukii and its potential imact to wine grapes during harvest in two cool climate wine grape production regions. Journal of Economic Entomology 108(3): 1148-1155. [Role: experimental design, data acquisition, manuscript revision.]
- Wiman, Nik G., Vaughn M. Walton, Daniel T. Dalton, Gianfranco Anfora, Hannah J. Burrack, Joanna C. Chiu, Kent M. Daane, Alberto Grassi, Claudio Ioriatti, Betsey Miller, Samantha Tochen, and Xingeng Wang. 2014. Integrating temperature-dependent life table data into a matrix projection model for Drosophila suzukii population estimation. PLoS ONE 9(9):e106909. [Role: experimental design, data acquisition, manuscript revision.]
- Tochen, Samantha, Vaughn M. Walton, Nik G. Wiman, Daniel T. Dalton, Peter Shearer, and Chris Hamm. 2014. Temperature-related development and population parameters for Drosophila suzukii (Diptera: Drosophilidae) on cherry and blueberry. Environmental Entomology 43(2): 501-510. [Role: experimental design and development, literature review, manuscript revision.]
- Lee, Jana C., Peter W. Shearer, Luz D. Barrantes, Elizabeth H. Beers, Hannah J. Burrack, Daniel T. Dalton, Amy J. Dreves, Larry J. Gut, Kelly A. Hamby, David R. Haviland, Rufus Isaacs, Anne L. Nielsen, Tamara Richardson, Cesar R. Rodriguez-Saona, Cory A. Stanley, Doug B. Walsh, Vaughn M. Walton, Wee L. Yee, Frank G. Zalom, and Denny J. Bruck. 2013. Trap designs for monitoring Drosophila suzukii (Diptera: Drosophilidae). Environmental Entomology 42(6):1348-1355. [Role: data acquisition, manuscript revisions.]
- Rossi Stacconi, M.V., Alberto Grassi, Daniel T. Dalton, Betsey Miller, M. Ouantar, A. Loni, Claudio Ioriatti, Vaughn M. Walton, and Gianfranco Anfora. 2013. First field records of Pachycrepoideus vindemiae as a parasitoid of Drosophila suzukii in European and Oregon small fruit production areas. Entomologia 1:e3: 11-16. [Role: field plot establishment, data acquisition, manuscript revision.]
- Walton, Vaughn M., Daniel T. Dalton, Kent M. Daane, Clive Kaiser, and Richard J. Hilton. 2013. Seasonal phenology of Pseudococcus maritimus (Hemiptera: Pseudococcidae) and pheromone-baited trap survey of four important mealybug species in three wine grape growing regions of Oregon. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 106(4): 471-478. [Role: study and fieldwork coordinator, statewide plot establishment, data acquisition and interpretation, manuscript composition and revision.]
- Dalton, Daniel T., Vaughn M. Walton, Peter W. Shearer, Douglas B. Walsh, Janet Caprile, and Rufus Isaacs. 2011. Laboratory survival of Drosophila suzukii under simulated winter conditions of the Pacific Northwest and seasonal field trapping in five primary regions of small and stone fruit production in the United States. Pest Management Science 67(11):1368-74. [Role: experimental design and implementation, data acquisition, literature review, manuscript composition and revision, manuscript submission.]
- Dalton, Daniel T. and Kim E. Hummer. 2010. Ribes bloom phenology: sections Botrycarpum and Ribes. Journal of the American Pomological Society 64(3): 140-151. [Role: field data collection, data analysis manuscript composition and revision.]
- Dalton, Daniel T., Joseph D. Postman, and Kim E. Hummer. 2010. Comparative infectivity of Cronartium ribicola aeciospores and urediniospores on Ribes nigrum. Plant Disease. 94(4): 461-464. [Role: experimental design, greenhouse plant maintenance, literature review, manuscript composition and revision.]
- Dalton, Daniel T. and Kim E. Hummer. 2009. Inheritance of the Cr gene in Ribes nigrum. Journal of the American Pomological Society 63(4): 142-144. U.P. Hedrick Student Paper Award: Second Place Winner. [Role: experimental design, greenhouse plant maintenance, literature review, manuscript composition and revision.]
Outreach and Extension
Danny has presented research findings from the Horticultural Entomology Lab to a variety of audiences. These groups include: horticultural societies, professional societies, and grape growers.
Danny is a co-author for Extension publications EM 9092 and a contributing author for PNW 644.
Danny can make site visits to scout for incipient invasive pests.
Awards and Honors
James and Mildred Oldfield/E.R. Jackman Team Award, OSU. 2013. One of 19 awardees of Team Drosophila, a research team investigating the impacts of spotted wing drosophila in Oregon, U.S.A. $4,000.
U.P. Hedrick Student Paper Award: Second Place Winner. 2009. For publication: Inheritance of the Cr gene in Ribes nigrum. (see Publications)
ARCO-Swallow Fellowship, OSU. 2006-2009. $3,000 per year.